Saturday, February 28, 2009

American Girl Doll...with hair

Yes, that's what we call her around here. Mary Caroline named her Emma, but most of the time she still calls her "American Girl Doll with hair." Whew! That is a mouth-full. I guess she doesn't want us to confuse her with Bitty Baby (who has kind of been replaced with you know who). Mary Caroline has so much affection for A.G.D.W.H (you know what I'm saying). In fact the other day we were on our way outside for a bike ride (which I'll discuss later) and she said, "Mommy, I really love my American Girl Doll with Hair." "When can I write Santa a thank you note?" Lord, I love her heart!
Here's my peeve.....the "hair" part. Emma is well on her way to some serious dread locks!! Does anyone have this doll? Is her hair as nappy as ours? I mean, Nathan even got sold on the "special brush" by the saleman at American Girl. I'm sorry Mattel, but the brush doesn't help the NAPPY! Perhaps we are going to have to take her to the "special salon" at the American Girl Place and get it fixed...like we need to drop more money to this company!! Come to think of it, maybe A.G.D.W.H has taken one too many bike rides in the Dolly Come Ride with me. If you are in the dark about this fabulous find, then consider yourself enlightened. Mary Caroline will not ride her bike without her "girl" or sometimes Bitty (as your neighborhood friends know). The ride is fun, but the seat should include a bad doll hair warning!!! See pics below.
What a mess!
Even a wreck from the back

Brushing with the "special must-have" brush

Dolly Come Ride with Me seat

"Dolly" looks a little frightened of the road ahead!

P.S. I'm sure our days with American Girl are just starting. Today Emily told me that she wanted an American Girl Doll with RED hair. I am not kidding!!

P.S AGAIN... I read the following review on the American Girl website:

"I use this brush daily on my dolls, it is probably the most well-used item in my collection. I spray the dolls hair with a very light mist of water and brush carefully with this brush in small sections starting at the ends and working up toward the scalp, and the hair really does stay looking new. It is very important not to use a human brush on a doll's hair because the oils in human hair can ruin the doll's synthetic hair. This wire wig brush is made for synthetic hair and easily slides through. With hair that is very snarled, it is important to be patient and not force the brush through, work at it from the ends so that you don't pull the hair out or rip it. I have been collecting for nearly 20 years, and I completely wore one brush out after using it daily for 15 years on a very large doll collection, and promptly bought another, which is still going strong and looking new today."

Okay, so we aren't doing things right for silky doll hair! Seriously this lady uses her "special brush" daily on her dolls. I don't even know if I use a brush everyday on my own kids!! HA!

3 comments:

{A*very} Blessed Life said...

I am laughing so hard right now! Oh my goodness! I can't believe the lady in the testimony referred to the doll's "scalp". I didn't realize dolls had scalps! Too funny!

Denise said...

I have heard that getting the hair all brushed out and then putting it in permanent braids is one of the only ways to keep it from getting like that.

Amy said...

Oh, man - I just had to comment! Katherine has a Molly, and "mean ol' mommy" won't let her undo the braids. But she's getting fuzzier by the week....

For Christmas, Gramma gave her Felicity...with the silk dress and garters and hose...eeek, thanks, Gramma! How about some actual indestructible clothes for her birthday in June!

Hope you all get better soon - sounds like you've had a heck of time.